Saturday 12 October 2013

Hi everybody,

Eid-al Adha or what we called festival of sacrifice is an important religious holiday celebrated by Muslims worldwide. In the international calender,the dates are different from year to year,drifting approximately 11 days earlier each year.The word "Eid" appears once in the 5th Sura of the Quran,with the meaning Solemn festival.The Eid is also known as the greater Eid, it  celebrates the occasion when God appeared to the prophet Ibrahim in his dream and asked him to sacrifice his son Ismail as an act of obedience to God.The devil tempted Ibrahim by saying he should disobey God and spare his son. As Ibrahim was about to kill his son, God stopped him and gave him a lamb to sacrifice instead . So, Muslims all over the world who can afford it ,sacrifice a sheep as a reminder of Ibrahim's obedience to God. In this special day, people generally share out the meat among family,friends and the poor who they get a third share.Added to that ,this day started with Muslims going to the Mosque for prayers to thank God for all the blessings they have received . It's also a time when they visit family and friends.What is more, it is obligatory to give a set amount to charity to help poor people in order that thoese people  celebrate the Eid too.
Now,I'm going to tell you what the Eid means to me. Actually,the Eid is an ordinary day like all the other days. Each year, I spent it in my room and never participate in it. For me , it is  an occasion  to study,to watch TV , and have some rest. Probably because I have never eaten meat in my whole life and i hate the fact that the house becomes full of bad smells .In fact,i know that I should participate in it and act like all the members of my family in order to depict a true Muslim.So, this year i'll try hard  to do my best to change my bad habit and to sahre this special day with my family.. I hope that I have given you a short glimpse about the Eid.
 
Iness Ben Youssef 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Ines!

    Thanks very much for your post about EID.
    There's certaintly a lot of background infromation behind the celebration of EID!

    I hope you have a good rest and a good time with your family!

    Patric

    ReplyDelete